Technology (Meta-) Ethics
Informed by my interdisciplinary background, I have developed a deep appreciation for big picture questions, cultural, societal and scientific contexts, as well as the particular importance of paying attention to underlying premises and conditions. While I am strongly interested in ethical and meta-ethical theory, I am equally concerned about questions of practical application and real-world scenarios.
I am currently pursuing three main areas of interest:
- Continuation of the development of “Vector Utilitarianism”, an ethical framework able to address any technological and/or non-technological entities humanity maycreate or encounter in the present and/or future (e.g. A(G)I).
- Examination of the connection between especially modern technologies (in-cluding robots and AI) and moral intuitions, and the significance of our apparent lack of such when it comes to abstract technologies.
- Societal implications of “Algorithmic Determinism” – particularly as this pertains to questions of autonomy and freedom (especially in a digital world).
- Klein, Wilhelm EJ. "Exceptionalisms in the ethics of humans, animals and machines." Journal of Information, Communication and Ethics in Society (2019).
- Klein, Wilhelm EJ, and Lin, Vivian W. ""Sex robots" revisited: a reply to the campaign against sex robots." ACM SIGCAS Computers and Society 47.4 (2018): 107-121.
- Klein, Wilhelm EJ. "Robots make ethics honest: And vice versa." ACM SIGCAS Computers and Society 45.3 (2016): 261-269.
Selected Conference Presentations:
- Klein, Wilhelm EJ. "What Is Vector Utilitarianism." ETHICOMP 2020 (2020): 439.
- Klein, Wilhelm EJ. "Riding the Absent Technophant - About the Ethical Obligations that Flow from Technologists’ Expertise-Enabled Moral Intuitions." Nuremberg, May (2016).
Knowledge Transfer Activities/ Project
- Co-Founder & CEO at Zeta Motion, a UK and HK based deep tech company in the space of motion capture and computer vision.
- Digital advocate and public speaker.
- Maker, hardware-hacker, UAV and drone designer/racer, woodworker and blacksmith.