- Sociology of religion; church-state relations; religion and social movements.
- The Political Influence of the Catholic and Protestant Churches in Hong Kong
- Christian Activism and the Social Movements in Hong Kong
- Teaching Ethical Reasoning in Hong Kong’s Secondary Education
- “The Role of Christian Activism in Hong Kong’s Occupy Movement,” in The Role of Religious Culture for Social Progress in East-Asian Society, edited by Juan Martinez and Kwang Suk Yoo. Eugene: Wipf and Stock Publisher, 2022 (forthcoming).
- “The Political Influence of Mainline Protestant Churches in Hong Kong,” The China Review 21.4 (2021), pp. 225–258.
- Shun-hing Chan and Wing-leung Law, “Revisiting Religion and Civic Virtue in Contemporary China: The Case of Shouwang Church in Beijing,” in De Natura Fidei: Rethinking Religion across Disciplinary Boundaries, vol. 2, edited by Jibu Mathew George. New Dalhi: Authorpress, 2021, pp. 102–129.
- Shun-hing Chan and Jonathan Wilson Johnson, eds. Citizens of Two Kingdoms: Civil Society and Christian Religion in Greater China. Leiden: Brill, 2021, 316 pages.
“Christians and Building Civil Society in Hong Kong: The Case of the Occupy Movement,” in Citizens of Two Kingdoms: Civil Society and Christian Religion in Greater China, edited by Shun-hing Chan and Jonathan Wilson Johnson. Leiden: Brill, 2021, pp 200-229.
“Nurturing Responsible Citizens: Pedagogical Practice in Teaching Ethical Reasoning,” in Education Curriculum Development: Perspectives, Challenges and Future Directions, edited by Marco Jutila. New York: Nova Science Publishers, 2020, pp. 89–116.
“Education and Modernization: The Role of Christian Churches in Hong Kong” (Japanese language), in Education and Cultural Interaction in Growing Asia, edited by Yuri Ishii and Kumai Shota. Hiroshima: Keisui-sha, 2020, pp. 160–174.
- “Changing Church-State Relations in Contemporary China: The Case of Wenzhou Diocese,” International Sociology 31.4 (2016): 489-507.
- “The Protestant Community and the Umbrella Movement in Hong Kong,” Inter-Asia Cultural Studies 16.3 (2015): 380-395.
- “Changing Church–State Relations in Contemporary China: A Case Study of the Cangzhou Diocese,” Journal of Church and State 57.2 (2015): 243-267.
- “Changing Church and State Relations in Contemporary China: The Case of Mindong Diocese, Fujian Province,” The China Quarterly 212 (2012): 982-999.
|Selected Conference Presentations:|
- “The Church and Christian Activism in Hong Kong’s Occupy Movement.” International Conference on “Rapid Religious Cultural Change.” The Centre for Theologically Engaged Anthropology at the University of Georgia and the Centre for Sino-Christian Studies at Hong Kong Baptist University, 23-24 and 30-31 October 2020.
- “Nurturing Responsible Citizens: Pedagogical Practice in Teaching Ethical Reasoning.” Hong Kong Education Research Association, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 14-15 December 2018.
- “The Role of Christian Activism in Hong Kong’s Occupy Movement.” International Conference on Religion and Spirituality in Society, Religion in Society Network, Imperial College London, 17-18 April 2017.
|Selected Research Grants:|
- “The Political Influence of the Protestant Churches in Hong Kong.” General Research Fund, 2013-15.
- “The Political Influence of the Catholic Church in Hong Kong.” General Research Fund, 2012-14.
|Knowledge Transfer Activities / Project:|
- “Teaching Ethical Reasoning in Hong Kong's Secondary Education.” Hong Kong Baptist University, 2017-18.