- Sociology of religion; church-state relations; religion and social movements.
- The Political Influence of the Catholic and Protestant Churches in Hong Kong
- Christian Activism and the Occupy Movement
- Teaching Ethical Reasoning in Hong Kong’s Secondary Education
- “The Role of Christian Activism in Hong Kong’s Occupy Movement,” in The Role of Religious Culture for Social Progress in East-Asian Society, edited by Juan Martinez and Kwang Suk Yoo. Eugene: Wipf and Stock Publisher, 2021 (forthcoming).
- (Co-authored with Wing-leung Law) “Revisiting Religion and Civic Virtue in Contemporary China: The Case of Shouwang Church in Beijing,” in De Natura Fidei: Rethinking Religion across Disciplinary Boundaries, edited by Jibu Mathew George. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2021 (forthcoming).
- Shun-hing Chan and Jonathan Wilson Johnson, eds. 2020. Citizens of Two Kingdoms: Civil Society and Christian Religion in Greater China. Leiden: Brill, 2020 (forthcoming).
“Christians and Civil Society Building in Hong Kong: The Case of the Occupy Movement,” in Citizens of Two Kingdoms: Civil Society and Christian Religion in Greater China, edited by Shun-hing Chan and Jonathan Wilson Johnson. Leiden: Brill, 2020 (forthcoming).
“Nurturing Responsible Citizens: Pedagogical Practice in Teaching Ethical Reasoning,” in Education Curriculum Development: Perspectives, Challenges and Future Directions, edited by Marco Jutila. New York: Nova Science Publishers, 2020, pp. 89–116.
“Education and Modernization: The Role of Christian Churches in Hong Kong” (Japanese language), in Education and Cultural Interaction in Growing Asia, edited by Yuri Ishii and Kumai Shota. Hiroshima: Keisui-sha, 2020, pp. 160–174.
- “Church Influence on Issue Importance: The Case of Mainline Protestant Churches in Hong Kong,” The China Review (2020, forthcoming).
- “Changing Church-State Relations in Contemporary China: The Case of Wenzhou Diocese,” International Sociology 31.4 (2016): 489-507.
- “The Protestant Community and the Umbrella Movement in Hong Kong,” Inter-Asia Cultural Studies 16.3 (2015): 380-395.
- “Changing Church–State Relations in Contemporary China: A Case Study of the Cangzhou Diocese,” Journal of Church and State 57.2 (2015): 243-267.
- “Changing Church and State Relations in Contemporary China: The Case of Mindong Diocese, Fujian Province,” The China Quarterly 212 (2012): 982-999.
|Selected Conference Presentations:|
- “Nurturing Responsible Citizens: Pedagogical Practice in Teaching Ethical Reasoning.” Hong Kong Education Research Association, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 14-15 December 2018.
- “Church Influence on Issue Importance: The Case of Mainline Protestant Churches in Hong Kong.” International Conference on Asian Studies, Yogyakarta, 16-17 July 2018.
- “The Role of Christian Activism in Hong Kong’s Occupy Movement.” International Conference on Religion and Spirituality in Society, Religion in Society Network, Imperial College London, 17-18 April 2017.
|Selected Research Grants:|
- “The Political Influence of the Protestant Churches in Hong Kong.” General Research Fund, 2013-15.
- “The Political Influence of the Catholic Church in Hong Kong.” General Research Fund, 2012-14.
|Knowledge Transfer Activities / Project:|
- “Teaching Ethical Reasoning in Secondary Education in Hong Kong.” Hong Kong Baptist University, 2017-18.